History of Council
Westonaria is situated amidst gold fields and forms the nucleus of five gold mines. The town is approximately 45 km from Johannesburg and is accessible by road and rail making it convenient for commuters to Johannesburg.
The greater Westonaria consists of a number of satellite towns, being –Westonaria, Hillshaven, Glenharvie, Venterspost, Libanon, Waterpan, Bekkersdal, Simunye.
Westonaria was proclaimed in 1938 as a result of all the mining activities that took place in this area since 1910 when the first shaft – Pullinger Shaft was sunked.
Venterspost town was proclaimed in 1937; Hillshaven, Glenharvie, Waterpan and Libanon were mainly established as mining residential areas. Westonaria Local Municipality is providing services to these areas. Zuurbekom is mainly earmarked for agricultural purposes. Bekkersdal was established in 1945 and administered under Westonaria Town Council; Simunye Proper is situated next to the R28 and Simunye Extension 2 (Phases 1 – 4) was developed for the development of the Presidential RDP project.
South Africa’s first national democratic election held in April 1994 heralded change to the old system of separate development and resulted in the amalgamation of the Bekkersdal Town Committee with the Westonaria Town Council forming a council serving the communities of the greater Westonaria.
The amalgamation was officially announced in the Government Gazette of 9 December 1994.
Visitors to Westonaria can make use of the following establishments:
Plot 526, Hilma Road
Leisure & Entertainment