Parents of children with disability as part of the
16 Days of Activism Program
Ms. Tsakane Rikhotso, a Social Worker at the Westonaria Local Municipality shared the purpose of the meeting and the details of the programme. She reported that the purpose of the meeting is to introduce the objectives of the support programme of parents of children with disability which will be held tomorrow the 10th of December 2015 at Simunye Multipurpose Hall.
Stakeholders were requested to share ideas and their contribution on the programme.
Ms. T. Rikhotso reported that the objective of the programme is to give support to the parents of children with disability, to engage them in a dialogue to share their challenges and propose support programme for them. To also form a support group for continual support. The support group will help and empower the parents emotionally and socially. During the programme parents of these children will share their experience and the stakeholders will share their role in this regard.
- Department of Health will provide a professional Nurse from Mental health, Health Promoter and physiotherapist.
- Itumeleng LSEN School will provide speech and hearing therapist and they will do exhibition of the things that children with disability has designed.
- SASSA will do presentation for grants of children with disability.
- Department of Social Development will do the presentation.
- Public safety to present on the issues of safety for children with disability. They also promised to invite Bickers and request their contribution for children with disability.
- The project Manager was advised to invite Department of Education for presentation of inclusion of children with disability. She was also advised to invite Human Settlement for advocacy for people with disability: Consider issues of disability when building houses.
- Ms. Tsakani thanked all the stakeholders for their contribution.
- Ms. L. Sekhokoane closed the meeting with the word of prayer.
The MEC gives away homes
The MEC of Human Settlement in Gauteng Province Mr Jacob Mamabolo together with the Westonaria Local Municipality will be handing over 16 houses in Westonaria Borwa as part of the 16 Days of Activism campaign.
During the course of this week, one house in particular was allocated to a granny from Kagiso location who was a victim of sexual abuse. The family was identified by a concerned resident of the area that notified Lihlo la Sechaba on the 28th of September 2015, which was later brought to the Office of MEC Human Settlement.
Lihlo la Sechaba is a local television programme broadcasted on SABC 2 every Thursday’s from 18:00 – 18:30 that tackles issues mostly related to the community as a whole.
A vote of thanks from the MEC of Human Settlement as well as the Executive Mayor of Westonaria Local Municipality, to all who contributed in this hand out of homes as part of the 16 Days of Activism campaign.
At around 15:00 on Monday, 7 December 2015, citizens of Bekkersdal were left without power due to the main power house being struck by lightning.
The Community was left in total darkness for 2 days. Although some power has been restored during the late hours of 8 December 2015, some of the locals are still left without power. Eskom officials are on scene attending to this urgent matter.
The public is hereby notified that the Municipal offices will be closed on Friday, 11 December 2015 from 13:00, due to a function to be attended by the staff.
We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience we might have caused.
We will resume to normal working hours as from Monday 14th of December 2015.
Mr T C Ndlovu